- What: BellSouth wanted to decrease the repeat non value-added calls to a servicing center.
Key measures: % Repeat Calls, % Calls Placed on Hold, Average Handling Time, Customer Satisfaction
- Who: Servicing Call Center
- Where: Tennessee and Florida
- How Long: 3 months (includes 3 weeks of testing)
- How: Six Sigma Approach
- Why: To reduce overtime and streamline work flows
Collect Ideas: Ideas were collected from the front line (over 800 were collected) from 5 separate call centers.
Ideas Tested/Time Frame: The ideas were reduced to 32 testable ideas. All 32 were tested at the same time for a period of three weeks. There were 8 significantly helpful ideas, 2 significant hurts and 2 that made no significant difference.
Some of the ideas tested: job aid to help deal with irate customers, offer to call them back, offer payment arrangements, bill explanation, recap the order